Sunday, June 14, 2015

Can You Case it? Design Team - Sketch Challenge CYCI #74

Happy Sunday!  So we survived the BBQ and it was a lot of fun, now the recovery begins.  Looking forward to a little rest and stamping with the ladies this afternoon (there’s something about retreating to the cool studio on hot humid days that feels great!!)  Today it’s time for another edition of the Can You Case It? weekly challenge.  This week we’re changing things up and giving a theme and letting you see where it takes you, in this case SUMMER!!! I’ll admit, when I first saw this challenge I was very nervous since we don’t have any current summer themed sets that I own (in the past we’ve had some uber-cute sets that I still have in my stash but I’m resisting).  Instead I started to think about all the great things about summer and came up with this, out of the box idea. 

 I started with Tempting Turquoise cardstock for the cardbase and then added a layer of Whisper White cardstock.  On this layer I did lots of stamping using the Work of Art stamp set.  I stamped the sand along the bottom using both Sahara Sand and Crumb Cake ink and stamped off on some of the images to get different levels of color.  I did the same thing for the sun using Hello Honey, Tangelo Twist, and So Saffron ink (I used my Stampin’ Write Markers to only ink part of the long narrow image for the sunbeams so they fit the page better). 
I always think of ice cream for the summer so I took a small piece of Whisper White cardstock, used the Project Life Corner Rounder Punch on three of the corners and the 1 ¼” Scallop Circle Punch on the last corner to look like a bites been taken out of the tasty treat.  Then I used the larger “swoosh” stamp and stamped using Pacific Point, Tempting Turquoise, and Real Red ink (also stamping off on the Real Red for a lighter top look). 
The goals was to make this look like the classic ice cream treat (but realized later I had the white and red in the wrong order, oops!!)  I used a piece of Soft Suede cardstock and the Word Window Punch to make the stick and attached the frozen treat to the card with dimensionals. 

The greeting is from the Celebrate Today stamp set and was stamped in Real Red Ink.  The final touch was to add some “birds” to the skyline and since I couldn’t find any suitably sized stamps I just drew simple ones in with a marker.

What do you think?  It’s a little out of the box for my usual style but it definitely conveys summer so I say, success.  I love the wide range of cards the other design team members are sharing so go check them out and then come play along for more summertime fun!

Below are easy ordering links for the products used on today’s card:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog


 
Have an enjoyable Sunday!

Diana
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog